Re: [LOKALT] English speaking SSLUG Subgroup at ITU?

Fred Großkopf wrote:
> As a supporter of open and free software and Linux/GNU I think it would be
> great to reactivate this group giving the community a representation at
> ITU by introducing regular (monthly?) meetings. Unlike SSLUG and in
> alignment with the high degree of international students at ITU this
> group's main language would preferably be English. At this point of time I
> can not estimate how many people from ITU would participate in such a
> group, but from talking to studens in my class I do believe there exists a
> potential interest.
>
> What do you think about this idea? Would you be interested in supporting
> such a group?

We support the creation local informal, autonomous subgroups everywhere. As
you may know we already have meetings every Wednesday evening at Copenhagen
Business School - of course the language spoken there is primarily Danish,
but we have had a few exchange students like yourself show up there. And we
also have local subgroups in a few other towns.

However, most of the work will have to be done by the local activists
themselves. It's up to you to get a small group of 2-4 responsible people,
and make arrangements with ITU to borrow a room with internet access and
other practicalities.

The only support we can offer is infrastructure and visibility:
* announcement to our ~4500 members
* a wiki page on wiki.sslug.dk
* a position on the frontpage and calendar of sslug.dk
* access to this mailing list/newsgroup dedicated to local groups (sslug-
lokalt)

So, what you need to do is:
* get 1-3 committed people besides yourself (preferably have them join
SSLUG)
* get permission to borrow a room with internet access
* select when and how often to meet (preferably *not* Wednesdays)

Then you'll officially have a local subgroup of SSLUG, and you can use our
infrastructure and we'll do everything we can to make sure everybody knows
about it, and pretty soon - if you show a little bit of persistence - you
should be having a lot of fun with likeminded people on a regular basis.

Only two "problems" come to mind:
1) I wonder how to best communicate to non-Danish speakers living in Denmark
2) Summer holiday is coming up - I guess that means most exchange students
are going home soon, and a new batch will arrive in a couple of months.

Hopefully some Danish people would participate too, but the main audience
would probably be exchange students and other foreigners living in Denmark.

Until you get the group off the ground, you're of course more than welcome
to join us at Copenhagen Business School on Wednesdays.

Questions about the web-pages to <www_admin>. Last modified 2009-07-01, 02:01 CEST [an error occurred while processing this directive]