IBM fortsætter med at satse stort på Linux...

De vil bla. investere ca. 1 mia. $ på Linux i 2001.

Se feks. http://www.computerworld.dk/vis_artikel.asp?ArticleID=9031 og
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4111945.html?tag=st.ne.1003.thed.ni

Eller læs Lou Gerstner's tale: http://www.ibm.com/lvg/1212.phtml

Her er det "vigtigste" ;) fra talen:

The second aspect of infrastructure that's really important is standards.
I'm not going to say very much about standards because if you understand
"end to end" and what it really means, the need for standards-based
computing is very easy to understand. The infrastructure must be open, and
it must be based on cross-industry standards so you can connect to those
millions of people and businesses wherever they are and connect to those
billions of devices whatever they are.

That's why the fight for open standards is worth fighting.  That's why XML
has got to remain open.  That's why we're betting a big piece of IBM's
future on Linux.  We're going to invest nearly $1 billion in Linux next
year. Fifteen hundred IBM developers are dedicated to Linux-enabling our
products and services -- and not just for applications that run on a
wristwatch, which we've built by the way.

We're moving Linux into commercial production environments.  Today we
announced that we will install a supercomputer-scale Linux cluster -- the
largest Linux installation in the world -- at Shell International
Exploration and Production.  Keio University in Japan is integrating two
campus networks supporting 15,000 users with Linux.  Last week Telia, the
largest telecommunications company in Scandinavia, announced it's going to
run its core business applications and consumer Internet services on a
mainframe running Linux.

And along with Intel, NEC and HP, we've already announced a huge Open Source
Development Lab in Portland, Oregon -- an independent, non-profit resource
to give the open source community a place to test enterprise-class Linux
software.
Why? Because we're convinced that Linux can do for business applications
what the Internet did for networking and communications: Deliver on the
promise of truly open, interoperable, any-to-any computing.

Linux shipment growth is expected to increase more than any other server
operating environment over the next few years.  It's growing at twice the
rate of NT, and there are some estimates that say Linux will cross over and
become more prevalent than NT by 2004.

Hvem tror endnu ikke på World Domination? ;-)

/Jørgen

Questions about the web-pages to <www_admin>. Last modified 2005-08-10, 19:19 CEST [an error occurred while processing this directive]