Bestix - En Internet-Cafe_Cd med de fleste språk som v alg ved booting

Bestix - En Internet-Cafe-Cd med de fleste språk som valg ved booting

Bestix ligger klar til nedlasting:
ftp://ftp.skolelinux.no/skolelinux/knoppixes/bestix/

Last ned - Brenn og boot :-)
Perfekt for svigermor - All She will ever need :-)

La meg gjøre det helt klart - Skype Virker :-) - Just works :-)
Jeg klarte til og med å huske passordet og kom inn på første forsøk :-)

Programmer:
    OpenOffice.org 2.0.2
    Firefox        1.5.0
    Gaim           1.5.0
    Skype          1.2.0
    Xchat          2.6.1
    VLC            0.8.4

Ikke glem - dere leste om den her først :-)

Mvh
Jim Oksvold

Postscript:

Komponistens egne ord hugget fra Debian Edu listen:

********************
Bestix, a new Kanotix-based live CD, is now available for download.
ISO-image and package lists are here:

ftp://ftp.skolelinux.no/skolelinux/knoppixes/bestix/

The goal of this system is twofold.

1)  Present a simple system, with a simple user interface.

2)  Localization in every available language.

More detailed description:

1)  The system is simple in the sense that only a small set
    of programs is included:

    OpenOffice.org 2.0.2
    Firefox        1.5.0
    Gaim           1.5.0
    Skype          1.2.0
    Xchat          2.6.1
    VLC            0.8.4

    The window manager is icewm with XP theme.

    The idea is to have a kind of Internet-Cafe-CD with the most popular
    programs.  People who find the wealth of programs with Skolelinux/Knoppix
    overwhelming, may well be pleased with this simpler presentation.

    Although the program set is small, the system can easily be expanded thanks
    to the magic of unionfs.  An installation dialog suggests additional
    software that is then downloaded and "installed" into RAM.  Alternatively,
    people can go to the klik website (in the Firefox toolbar), and choose
    their applications there.

    In principle (with a cheatcode), you can download and install your
    additional applications on USB key, or on the hard disk.  As with any
    Knoppix-based system, you can install the system to hard disk with
    knoppix-installer.

2)  Localization and its problems

    The original intention of this CD was to create a multi-lingual live CD,
    with as many translations of OpenOffice.org as possible.  Thanks to a
    recent collaboration between the Debian and Ubuntu OpenOffice.org teams,
    the openoffice.org-l10n packages have been purged of redundancies, and
    now every openoffice.org-l10n package that is included with Debian is
    also on the CD.  To the extent that translations are available for the
    other programs, they are also included.  The grub boot menu permits you
    to easily boot into the language of your choice -- if you find that your
    language is not supported, despite the availability of free software
    for that language, please let me know.

    Building on this basis, I have attempted to construct localized menus for
    icewm, but it is here that the CD reveals its weaknesses.  While most
    western European languages are (I hope) well-supported, there are problems
    elsewhere, connected to the way icewm/Debian handles fonts.  For example,
    when the menu includes both Arabic and Western fonts, the Western fonts
    "disappear".  I have not yet solved this problem, and I would be happy
    to hear suggestions leading to a solution.  Not every non-European language
    has problems of this kind -- for example, Chinese looks just fine.
    In many cases, the translations of the menu are incomplete.  If you are
    dissatisfied, please write me, and I will include your corrections.

    The CD includes scim as a character input method for Chinese / Japanese /
    Korean.  There has been some discussion between myself and my collaborators
    whether this is the best character input method or whether uim should be
    preferred.  If you have opinions in this matter, please let me know.

As usual, your complaints and criticism, as well as encouragement, are welcome.

Like most live CDs, Bestix is a promotional tool for Free Software.
Since there are many people outside of the community who have no idea
what free software is all about, there is clearly room for such a tool.

In particular, one of the major selling points of skolelinux is the
inclusion of OpenOffice.org as a major program.  There are still many
people (believe it or not) who have never heard of OpenOffice.org, and
to the extent that Bestix promotes OpenOffice.org, it also promotes
skolelinux.  Not only is OpenOffice.org important, but the translations
of OpenOffice.org are important.  Bestix includes all of them.

When NordisKnoppix was presented at a computer expo in Lithuania three
years ago, I was told that it made a big impression that you could type
Lithuanian characters into OpenOffice.org and that Lithuanian
spell-checking was included, even though the user interface (at that
time) was still in English.  The same might be said about Armenian or
Georgian languages today, and if there is even a chance that people
there could be interested in OpenOffice.org/Skolelinux, I would be
thrilled!

Arguably, I could have made this announcement on the OpenOffice.org
mailing lists, and indeed it is my intention to do so eventually.
However, there are still some weaknesses in the CD (as described
in my first post) that should be removed before presenting it to
a more user-oriented mailing list (like OpenOffice.org).
Debian-Edu is not only more developer oriented, it is also my home
away from home on the Internet, so it is seemed natural for me to
first announce the CD here.  ;-)

A somewhat more concrete answer  is that Bestix
includes among its "Download" categories an Educational category
that permits users to download childsplay, gcompris, tuxmath,
tuxpaint, and tuxtype.

Another aspect of the Bestix/Skolelinux relation is the question
of user interface.

One of the best interfaces I have seen is the interface created
by Trond Maehlum in Kongsvinger (based on icewm with XP theme).
The Bestix user interface may be seen as alternative suggestion,
inspired by the work done in Kongsvinger.

Conrad Newton

Questions about the web-pages to <www_admin>. Last modified 2006-05-01, 02:02 CEST [an error occurred while processing this directive]